Present with God: In my Self-Control

“for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.” -2 Timothy 1:7

I think of self-control as the victory of my will over my actions. When I bear down and concentrate really hard and block out the distractions I can have mastery over what I do. I can resist temptation. I can sacrifice. I can serve. I can be the person I believe that God wants me to be.

But Paul says here that, self-control is really the victory of the Spirit's power and love over my fear. The presence of the Spirit brings a power to overcome our temptations.  Through the presence of the Spirit flows a love that overcomes my selfishness and allows me to sacrifice and serve.

But this is not the product of my effort. It is, in fact, due to the presence of the Spirit God has placed inside of me. Ironically, self-control isn't in my control at all. It's the evidence of the Spirit in me and comes only when I submit myself to the Spirit's work in me. The only thing required of me is to give in to the power of the spirit to grow His fruit in me.

The more I try to control myself, the more I become paralyzed with fear that I am powerless to be the person God wants to me be. I'm not strong enough. I'm not brave enough. I'm not smart enough. I'm not good enough. Coming to this realization should be terrifying, but on the other side of it, I am finding a precious release.

I get to let go of my white-knuckled efforts at self-control. I give in and the Spirit takes over.

Comments