Present with God: In my Future

This same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus. -Philippians 4:19

Anxiety is the assumption that God is going to stop being God at some point in the future.

I have a talent for projecting doom. I can dwell on a minor setback and devise a cascade of escalating negative outcomes. I am hyper-vigilant to the most remote possibility of catastrophic failure. But all of my anxiety and fear ignores what I believe about God.

I believe that God loves me. I believe that God is actively providing for and protecting me. I believe that God is working his plan in and through my life. I believe that God has seen me through a thousand perils (some imagined, some real).

I believe that God will continue to be just what he has always been to me.

Anxiety is how I feel when I look at the future and remove God from the equation. Left on my own, the world can be terrifying. But there will never come a time when God stops being God. So there will never be a time when I am not safe in his hands.

Being present with God is an invitation to consider the future as a place that God will lead you to, protect you in, and carry you through.

Comments